Thursday, January 21, 2010

Lamp Inspiration: Chinese Temples

I've been looking at different architecture elements for inspiration for my lamp for Tools class. I came across some pictures I took while at the Chinese Gardens in Portland, Oregon. I was inspired by the roof of the Chinese Temples and decided to create a few prototypes using the slope of the roofs.


After doing some research, I learned that the Chinese Temples are built on the principles of balance and symmetry. The roofs are curved to ward off evil spirits, believed to be related to straight lines.


Below are a few images from the Chinese Gardens:








More pictures can be found on my Flickr photostream.


I'd like my lamp to have the form relating to the roofs of Chinese temples. Placing some rice paper in the middle of the lamp will create a lantern effect, and also diffuse the light, creating ambient lighting. I'll experiment with the different textures of paper, as well as colors.



No comments:

Post a Comment