Monday, June 30, 2008

UO Architecture Academy - Design Studio: Project 1: Memory of a Place


Text:


The pace of my steps slow down as I make the transition from gravel to sand. My footsteps become quieter. I take off my flip flops, and my feet sink into the earth. It is moist, cold, but refreshing. The wind flows through my hair and it brushes my face as I lick my lips and taste the salt in the air. It is a chilly day, and the sun hides behind hazy skies. I continue walking. One step. Two step. (Red step, blue step?)


I reach my destination. I stop and look up at the rocks that thrust out of the sand. I zip up my jacket and prepare for the climb up. As I crouch down, my hands try to find a grip amongst the rocks that glisten as the sun breaks through the clouds. I carefully climb onto the rocks, and slowly make my way up. Small pebbles and rocks fall as they become loose from the disturbance. I keep going. And then I reach The Cave.


I lower my head as I step over protruded roots, watching my step as I place my hands on the damp inside walls for support. I'm hunched over, feeling claustrophobic in this tight space. As I turn around, I take a deep breath. The view is amazing; waves crashing upon one another. The roar of the ocean is loud and constant, yet soothing. The air is salty, but crisp and refreshing. I close my eyes, feel the wind on my skin, and listen to the sound of seagulls flying overhead. What can be better than this?

No comments:

Post a Comment