Thursday, September 18, 2008

Climbing: lessons for life...

Climbing, taking risks, leaping before you look.



I've always tried to lead a healthy, active life style, but sometimes things get in the way or I lose motivation to continue. But I feel like climbing is a different story. I enjoy the challenges I face with every new problem. With every hand movement, every hold, every step, I learn to trust in myself.


There have been moments when I can compare climbing techniques with the way of living life. A few things that have crossed my mind have been risk factors, and leaping before you look.


Sometimes you must trust your instints, and usually these instincts are always right. It may be scary at first, but once you let go, and really make the move, take the action... you find that in the end, you'll be fine.


Take the leap. Dynoing involves thursting your body upwards in order to reach a hold that may other wise be out of reach when you're static. This is when you just have to let go and do it.


Let out a shout. Yell. Yelp. Whatever it takes to get there; you'll find a way.




-----



Updated: (April 22, 2009)

TED video: Matthew Childs: Hang in there! 9 life lessons from rock climbing

Rule 1: Don't let go!
Rule 2: Hesitation is bad.
Rule 3: Have a plan.
Rule 4: The move is the end.
Rule 5: Know how to rest.
Rule 6: Fear sucks.
Rule 7: Opposites are good.
Rule 8: Strength is not equal to success.
Rule 9: Know how to let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment